Monday, November 26, 2007

enchanting, amazing, and the very best ever

I hope you all had a fantabulous Thanksgiving.

Okay, first of all, Disney's new joint, Enchanted...It's enchanting. Very clever of me, I know. But seriously, I believe Disney has struck a real chord with this movie, no doubt because everything from the story line to the song and dance numbers hearken back to one of Disney's Golden Ages, when stars such as Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews were the big box office draws. I love the completely a-political nature of this film as well. There were moments when I thought, "Uh oh. Here comes the big global warming message," or "Here comes the big feminist princess message," but they never showed. This is a movie our family will probably go see together again in the theaters, and it is definitely one to own.

Second of all, my mom and I both finished the amazing mother/daughter memoir Come Back over the Thanksgiving holiday, and I must say it is the kind of book that changes the way I view life as both a mother and a daughter. The extended title is "Come Back: A mother and daughter's journey through hell and back," which is definitely appropriate. It is also represented by my agent, Stacey Glick, who wrote an interesting blog post (scroll down to her 10/22 post) about the process behind the publication of this book (but even if Stacey wasn't involved I would love it). Pick up a copy for yourself, and give copies to your favorite mothers and daughters, especially if they have had to endure major, transformative trials in their personal lives and/or their relationship with each other.

Lastly...Friday Night Lights? Best. Show. EVER. I come to this show late in the game, since I just happened to be channel surfing one Friday night (I need to get a life, I know) a couple months back. I thought it was a show about football! Well, it is...sort of. But only to the extent that the high school football team of the tiny Texas town that provides the setting for the show is sort of like the touchstone for all the characters, the one thing they all have in common to some extent. But it's so much more than a show about football. Rarely, if ever, have I seen such accurate portrayals of (in no particular order): the odd mixture of joy and insanity that accompanies having a baby; the multi-faceted tensions inherent in converting to Christianity; the complex sexual, social and emotional tension of being a teenager...and the list goes on. Now I have to figure out if the first several seasons are on DVD.

That's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Nicole for your suggestion about Friday Night Lights. Our experience of network TV is that by rejecting all we are right about 9/10 times, then when the reruns come we enjoy the rare one that's good. I was surprised by how much fun Seinfeld was but I never saw an original episode.

    ReplyDelete