Monday, November 19, 2007

long time, no blog

Or at least that's how it feels. I've been in busy bee mode - or chicken-with-its-head-cut-off mode; you pick. But I am still alive to happily proclaim that craft show season is officially OVER. Which is a good thing. The soaps did well, and people scattered far and wide now have cute gifts and stocking stuffers to hand out at Christmas, so mission accomplished.

A craft show is such a bizarre little microcosm - all those crafty hopefuls schlepping their much sweated-over treasures into a strange location where they are stuck for at least an entire day surrounded by people they have probably never met, people who are also trying to hawk their lovingly-crafted wares. It can make for a delicate situation - all that hope, all those fragile egos, all that need to unload this year's inventory and earn back one's table fee, materials and (hopefully) one's investment of time and energy. You just never know how it's going to go.

At the first of the two shows the sweet, elderly, granny-like lady with the scrap booking booth just behind my soap booth asked me at lunchtime if I had any drugs. I absolutely kid you not. However, I lucked out at last weekend's show, partly because my mom flew into town for a visit and to sell her jewelry, which has become something of a tradition for us. So, I had her on my left. At the table to my right was a vendor I'd never met before, though I noticed right away during setup that she had some incredibly cute and artfully-made things. Turns out we had all sorts of things in common, not the least of which are consuming passions for Disneyland and English degrees. So, during the lulls in business I had a lovely time chatting about books, the Tower of Terror (which I am still too much of a scaredy-cat to ride) and mom stuff. Here's her blog, The Polka-Dot Pixie, where you can see a bunch of her wares. It's amazing to me that she's never been to art school. Such talent. Oy.

~segue~

NaNo word count: 25K plus. Yeehaw!

~segue~

Last Friday's soap giveaway? Oops. Totally spaced it out amid all the hustle and bustle. I'll make it up to you.

4 comments:

  1. You are such a doll! So nice to have met you. I am glad to have found your blog. I'll be adding it to my links list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As do I, Heidi. The selling's fun and all, but shopping at a good craft fair is the best.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete