Monday, March 26, 2007

wherein I get the tiniest glimpse of what Simon Cowell’s mother must have experienced

Yesterday a cool thing happened at church: My son let his voice be heard loud and clear among all the other voices during singing. This may not sound like a big deal, but we attend a very small church (record attendance is 61 if memory serves – there were about 20 of us yesterday), and the songs are always sung without piano or other accompaniment. In a group that small every voice stands out, so I thought it was pretty brave of him. In fact, not only did our boy sing, but he followed right along with the words and music in the hymnal, even mastering most of the tricky pauses in songs like “How Great Thou Art” and “I am Resolved.”
So, naturally, on the drive home, I told him that I thought his singing was fantabulous.
There was a pause. Then, from the back seat, I heard, “Really? You think so? I thought it was sort of pitchy and all over the place.”

This may be a stretch, but I think there exists the slightest possibility that I’ve been letting him watch too much American Idol.


In other news, THIS IS IT. The final week of my writerly blitzkrieg with which I hope to accomplish the completion of my latest manuscript (or at least a half-decent draft) by the time I turn 37. So, please, ESP those thoughts, prayers and vibes of endurance. I need all the edge I can get.

1 comment:

  1. I'm kinda sad that in our big healthy church, (about 200 people) we're losing our four part harmony. We got a baby grand piano lasts year and it's lovely but we never sing without it anymore.

    And yeah...pitchy. Yep. I get that too. It's hard raising a recording engineer's offspring...

    (I loved this post!)

    I AM THINKING OF YOU as you finish your project!!!!! You can do it! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete