Monday, February 27, 2012

Scottsdale All-Arabian Horse Show 2012

So, I love my Arabian horses. I've mentioned this, right? I love 'em when they're all slicked out and shiny in the middle of summer, and I love 'em when they're in woolly mammoth mode in February:


Know what else I love about February? The Scottsdale Arabian show, which takes place each year just a couple hours south of where I live. Scottsdale is *the* event in the Arabian horse show world, and it draws exhibitors from all over the globe - Qatar, Argentina, Spain...you name it. This past weekend I made the trek with a girlfriend and four kids between us. It was about 80 degrees in the sunshine down in the Valley, and I'm pretty sure my winter-white legs (oh, what am I talking about - my legs are always pale as a snake's belly) blinded a few horses and spectators.

I love that there's something for everyone - English events, Western events, and don't even get me started on the shopping. From handmade bosals to diamond necklaces, it's all there.





Of course, the Senior Champion mare and stallion halter classes were a highlight. I was so impressed by the depth of quality in all classes we watched. It was awesome.



And no matter what you may think about halter showing in general or certain handlers in particular, there is no denying that this horse is exquisite. He's Aria Impresario, handled by David Boggs, and you horsey folks can check out his pedigree here. He went champion Senior stallion, and watching him take charge of the arena with his gorgeous, free movement (somebody get me a dressage saddle, quick!) brought tears to my eyes.


The kids and I already can't wait 'til next year!


2 comments:

  1. What gorgeous creatures--I wish I wasn't scared of them. (Those big, mysterious eyes make me nervous--hee!)

    Brianna sounds like a great book--best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Bethany! And no reason to be scared of my old senior citizen gelding for sure. He's about as gentle (and slow) as they come. :-)

    ReplyDelete