Thursday, January 29, 2009

blogcrush '09: chickens in the road

Ever had a blogcrush? You know, you discover a blog (either by accident or because someone insisted you MUST go check it out), and then before you know it you're checking that blog for new posts compulsively, just like a high school girl waiting for the phone to ring, certain that HE is going to call at any moment. Uh, not that I ever did anything like that. No sirree Bob.

Anyway, I've had Suzanne McMinn's blog, Chickens in the Road, on my sidebar for some time now. I was initially drawn in by the title, because anything with "chickens" in it - from blogs to casseroles - is fine with me. Then, in late fall, our entire little flock of silkies was killed, and I was, frankly, too much in mourning to read about someone else's chicken adventures.

But one day I was drawn back to Suzanne's blog, and I'm so glad I was. She's been "discovered" by the blogosphere recently, with her 2008 Bloggies Award mention, which makes the blogosphere very lucky. Because there's something about the way she writes about the tiny details of life on a farm in rural West Virginia. Her words are celebratory and joyful without being too navel gazer-ish. And the recipes! Oy! Just one look at the Burnt Sugar Cake, and I'm a goner all over again. How much does it suck that I don't "do" refined sugar or flour anymore (at least not in large quantities)??

Earlier this week I made sourdough starter from her recipe, which is something I haven't done for many years. Here's a pic of my starter on day one (okay, yeah, so that's refined flour. I never said I was perfect):



The last time I made starter I was living at sea level, so we'll see how it goes at 7,000 feet. I'm hoping to make some good rustic, whole wheat-ish loaves with cranberries, walnuts, etc., sourdough fanatic that I am. Hopefully, they won't turn out rock hard and flat as pancakes. I'd probably still eat them if they did, as long as they had that tang.
So, I'm always up for discovering new blogs: What's one of your blogcrushes?

5 comments:

  1. Well, how about yours, sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...aw, shucks.

    And what do you mean SOMEtimes??

    :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I mean. Thanks for the tip on Chicken in the Road.

    If you like funny, laugh out loud funny, try Iowahawk. Bookworm Room is pretty good too and somewhere behind the lines, deep in Marin, if you are interested in old haunts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so have a blogcrush! And now I have a name for that feeling that I've been having over girlsgonechild.com, and Dooce.com . I haven't been doing this networking thing for long. But I am finding tones of blogs writers that inspire me!
    Good luck with the bread making! I actually made sourdough egg casserole for dinner tonight! YUMO :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so have a blogcrush! And now I have a name for that feeling that I've been having over girlsgonechild.com, and Dooce.com . I haven't been doing this networking thing for long. But I am finding tones of blogs writers that inspire me!
    Good luck with the bread making! I actually made sourdough egg casserole for dinner tonight! YUMO :)

    ReplyDelete