Wednesday, January 18, 2012

No Fat Chicks?

I spent the past few days reading Carolyn Mackler's The Earth, My Butt, & Other Big Round Things, and, as I posted on Twitter, this book is pure YA (young adult) genius. Why? Well, for one thing, Mackler takes on body issues, sexuality and dysfunctional family dynamics in a way that really hits home. Who among us (young, old, male, female) hasn't wished there was something we could change about our physical person or lamented the fact that our family isn't perfect?

In Virginia Shreves I found a character I could root for whether she was in full-on self-destructive mode or fighting her way out of that dark place where her best never seemed good enough and the mirror was her worst enemy. The book was laugh-out-loud funny in some places and heartwrenching in others. So, read it! It will make you want to give yourself and your BFF a huge hug. Mackler's newest book, co-written by Jay Asher (author of Thirteen Reasons Why) is out, and I can't wait to read that one next.

No comments:

Post a Comment