Friday, January 05, 2007

all we are is dust in the wind, dude*

The school bus was on a snow delay schedule this morning, though we didn't get much more than a dusting last night. Those extra few minutes of prep time gave my brain the opportunity to switch into philosophical mode (from primal, animal survival mode) for the first time since we started packing for our move a few weeks ago. I've been thinking about how long it's taken me to start a blog (a couple of years), and why (because I'm a fairly private person - "You play your cards close to your chest," is how one long-time friend puts it). Then I re-read the following tidbit and any lingering doubts about the validity - nay, the NOBILITY - of my blogging habit were quenched.

According to writer/reviewer Richard Robinson, Socrates (shown above in full, pre-hemlock-ingesting stance) preached "the knowledge of one's own starting points, the hypothetical entertainment of opinions, the exploration of their consequences and connections, the willingness to follow the argument wherever it leads, the public confession of one's thoughts, the invitation to others to criticize, the readiness to reconsider, and at the same time firm action in accordance with one's present beliefs." (italics mine)

So, I figure I'm in good company on at least a few of those points. Bill and Ted knew what they were doing when *they plucked the most excellent Socrates from the fifth century B.C.E. for that history report. Of course, scoring the Grim Reaper to play bass for their totally un-heinous rock band was a bold move, too.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:23 PM

    Now that's some darn good rationalization if I ever heard it ;)

    ReplyDelete