Tuesday, December 05, 2006

blowin' through the jasmine in my mind

Earlier this year a friend gave me a copy of The Alchemist by Paul Coelho (does anyone know how to pronounce that name? I've heard it's something like "Coay-sho," but that doesn't seem right). Despite the back cover copy proclaiming this as the kind of literary work that changes not only individuals but entire NATIONS, I'm having a hard time not seeing it as Jonathan Livingston Seagull for the new millenium. Not that I have anything against seagulls, especially Jonathan, who was arguably the most precocious and deep-thinking seagull of his time. He had a lot of pluck. Anyway, the inherent problem for me in reading something reminiscent of JLS is that, only a few pages in, I find myself unable to locate the volume control on the parade of seventies anthems streaming through my brain. Today - ALL day - whether reading The Alchemist or not, it was that Seals & Crofts song "Summer Breeze." You know the one. Come on, sing it with me. Summer breeze...makes me feel fine... Please don't curse me as you're trying to fall asleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment